The Levis Home, Alton, IL

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

The Levis Home, Alton, IL

Postby kathyd on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Our local landmarks association had their annual house tour last weekend. I got to be a hostess at the Levis Mansion. The Levis family started the Illinois Glass Company in the late 1800s, which later became Owens-Illinois Glass. Here is a link to some photos of the home. It can be all yours for only $1,500,000.

http://70danforth.greatluxuryestate.com/
kathyd

Re: The Levis Home, Alton, IL

Postby Don M on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:43 pm

That's quite an impressive house but I hate the kitchen! :evil:
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby PowerMuffin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:47 am

Yep, I agree. That kitchen so does not fit the rest of the house. Fabulous house though. I bet you had lots of fun investigating it.
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby kathyd on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:25 am

You're right. My post for the tour was in the kitchen. It had originally been two rooms we were told, one where the fine china was kept (closest to the dining room), the other for the pots and pans. It was remodeled by the present owner when the moved there in the late 80s. The cabinets were very plain, I don't think they were even wood. The cook tops were outdated. And the very modern bar stools were definitely wrong. The owner seemed quite pleased with his remodel, as did the realtor who was in there with me.

They kept saying that kitchens have to be modernized to be useful. While I certainly understand wanting the latest amenities, you could still have remodeled with the period in mind. A few people that came through were making jokes about it, not know that the owner was standing in the room.
kathyd

Return to The Hangout Forum