Security in an old home

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Security in an old house

Postby al_roethlisberger on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:16 am

James wrote:I agree good neighbors are good security, BUT when you live out in the country and cannot see another house from yours, they are of limited value. You have to hope they drive by and spot something and then take note of it. And as for the dog, well I have one and she did not turn up till an hour after the last deputy had left my house on the night of the break in. If she and been in the house instead of the yard would it have made a difference, I don't know. She does sleep inside but usually is outside all day. Mid sized mutt that someone threw out this winter and I fed rather than call the pound to come get her. How one of the cats ended up here too. Maybe I should consider the geese idea. I remember my uncle used to keep guineas and I recall them being loud. Pass by a trailer on my way into town everyday that I see has a couple of them, do they serve the same purpose I wonder?

That is very true(about country versus urban), and perhaps I should have clarified that.

My comments were definitely geared toward a "neighborhood" kind of environment.

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com
al_roethlisberger

Postby MattStiltner on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:12 am

Well, I got a phone call last night while I was working the sales floor like a slave. Parents said "Stop by our house before you go home, your wife is here". I found this rather peculiar, but I stopped nonetheless.

I walk in and my wife has her head in her hands. I'm trying to figure out what the deal is. All of a sudden, my daughter comes trotting out of the bedroom, and this dog comes out of the porch. I look at my daughter, and her face is broken out, she's allergic to the puppy apparently.

So it looks like the dog my wife went to pick up, may have to go back. I tried to convince her to bathe the dog, because it smells like baked crap, and see if that would help alleviate some of the issue, because my daughter, while allergic to animals, is around dogs and cats often, and none of them bother her, I think its because of their cleanliness compared to this dog.. Its a darn cute little bugger, and a hefty little sucker for 6 weeks old. If he was the runt of the pack, I'd hate to see the alpha male in that case.

Frankly, I never cared if we got the dog or not, but I am an animal lover, and I hate to have to bring yet another dog in, only to have to give it away because my daughter is allergic to it. $300 flushed down the craphole :(
My Home's Website - Finally back up and displaying pictures. Hooray for time to do something with it
MattStiltner

Postby jeepnstein on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:38 am

Wash the pup first. I'm not a big fan of washing pups but the stink and the products people use to mask it can be overpowering. It's probably something from the dog's previous enviroment that is getting at your daughter. Even an adult German Shepherd shouldn't be bathed too often since it strips them of the oil that keeps their coat working properly.

Good Luck, I'd offer to take him off your hands but my wife would not take kindly to a third dog. Perhaps a trade for a maltese? (Just kidding)

J.
jeepnstein

Postby johnb. on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:06 pm

Perhaps you guys can fill me in. The Missus wants a german shepard. Anyway, are they compatible with farm animals? Cows, chickens, etc.?

We had to find a new home for a purebred husky (given to us from a very abusive situation) when we couldn't keep him out of the animals. We didn't know they have a high prey drive. Missus loved that dog! She worked very hard to gain his trust and get him to stop ducking everytime anyone moved! But, he's in a good home now, with no chickens! And, there is considerable more room in the bed at night!

We pretty much get our dogs from the pound. It used to be cheaper, but some rescue places are getting expensive and they want more info on you than if you were adopting a child! I think that's nuts. Anyway, we've been kind of "mutt" people, so far. They seem to turn out to be good dogs. Some of the purebreds have "issues".

The "look" of a german shepard is intimidating, even if the dog is a creme puff. Security is always an issue.....or at least something one should think about occasionally.
johnb.

Postby Starr-Point on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:54 pm

Dogs are individuals. I have always been afraid of German Shepherds owing to having been bitten by three of them when a kid. But a good friend of ours who has 12 horses, a couple of mules, cows, etc. has a pack of 18 dogs, 7 of which are German Shepherds. And I have to admit they're really good dogs.

They have neighbors whose Shepherd inexplicably tore the throats out of every one of their 27 ducks one night.

Who knows.

I do think purebreds - decent ones, at least - have a lot fewer problems than mutts. At least you know what's on both sides of the pedigree. With a mutt, who knows?
RSS
Starr-Point

Postby jeepnstein on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:49 pm

German Shepherds are basically the toughest sheepdog on the planet. Their role was, among other things, to keep wolves from eating the sheep. This shepherding instinct is deep in the good ones, almost spooky at times. Try watching a National Geographic special on wolves with one in the room, they get very on guard.

A guy in my old neighborhood, you know the place that got bombed my last night there, had a great one. He was a cop and lived as the caretaker at the park at the end of the street. When the K9 unit got loose it would chase kids until he had them formed into a fairly compact group. Heaven help the poor soul who tried to shoo the dog away from the kids, it wouldn't give an inch. It was a very hard dog and not a bit pleasant to be around but it's drive to protect children was remarkable. He was pretty gentle if you were less than four feet tall.

If the gene pool is a bit shallow, then they will start acting more like their primitive ancestors. This is when they become killing machines. They have all the tools to fill this role really well. As much as it pains me to say this, there is only one thing you can do with such a dog.

J.
jeepnstein

Postby johnb. on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:21 pm

Well, I guess we're mutt people mostly because we can't afford $500 on a purebred. We've had terrific luck with the mutts. We like large dogs and many are shepard mixes, anyway.

The husky that was given to us was very wild. He'd pace and pace. But, the Missus spent much time with him gaining his trust. He didn't like my mother-in-law at all. It took months for him to even go near her. We thought she might have reminded him of the person who abused him. But, I guess they couldn't have been more different. She's an animal person and usually everything takes to her.

The Missus still misses that dog, but he just was not compatible with the other animals. So, we found him another, very good place to be. He's doing fine.

Our current dog is a mutt; a very large mutt. He's wonderful with the animals and kids. He was a "pounder" and we believe he came from an abusive home. Every time someone moved, he flinched. He wouldn't go near a set of stairs. He was probably pitched down them a few times. After nearly a year and of the Missus carrying him upstairs every night, he finally went up on his own. He was terrified!

We've had him two years now and we're still seeing changes in his personality. He's still "loosening" up. He's starting to play and wrestle with a bone or a ball. He's becoming a better watch dog. He has a lot of herding instinct in him. He loves to go out when we do chores. He looks pretty intimidating and would do a number on anyone who came here with evil on their mind.

I can't remember the name of his breed, but I had customers tell me that's what they thought he was. I looked it up on the internet and sure enough, he looked the same. It isn't anything I'd ever heard of before, but the description of the purebreds said they were not for everyone and they bonded very close with their families. I'm sure he's some sort of mutt mixture, but he's working out well for us.

If the right situation happens, we'll get another dog. We seem to end up with everyone else's cast-offs. But, we seem to be able to bring them around into decent animals.

Have a good day.
johnb.

Postby lrkrgrrl on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:52 pm

I've always had pound-puppies, adopting them as young adults. Mostly they've been great, but my last horrible hound had some temperment issues that were getting worse as she got more mature, and off she went "to the wild hunt."

So, it's a big leap for me to have a baby pup. The new pup is a Mudi, a rare Hungarian herding, and general purpose farm breed. They're also used for search and rescue work.

Of course, no one will ever believe me, as I've spent the better part of 20 years passing off mutts as various obscure breeds. It's half the fun of having a mutt!
lrkrgrrl

Postby johnb. on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:01 pm

lrkrgrrl:

The good thing about pounders is that a lot of the time, they're already housebroken! I figure if you go to the pound and the dog comes when called and sits, then you can assume that someone has spent at least SOME time with them. We have always had mutts and for the most part, have gotten good dogs. And, if you have to "trade" the dog in for some reason, at least you're not out $500+ bucks!
johnb.

Postby lrkrgrrl on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Unfortunately, my mutts have mostly been picked up as strays, so they needed a little help with regards to some of the finer points of civilized living. They catch on pretty quick, though, as young adults. Puppies, well, he's getting the idea. Yip once or twice, look at the door, they take you out side.

Wait a minute, who's training whom here???
lrkrgrrl

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum