Well we finally moved in

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

gluby174

Well we finally moved in

Post by gluby174 »

It has been 3 years May10,2009 when we closed on our house,here is my first post here,

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19872

been checking here reguraly but not much time to chat,anyway a little history of the house,it sat vacant for 5 years,was in very bad condition, realitor , friends, family thought we were crazy,they thought it should have been torn down.Just about every sill plate had to be replaced,walls and ceiling beams damaged from past powered post beatles.Windows ,siding were all mushy from moisture.There was pryor police activity ,they left the place in shambles. I know alot of you here would froun because not trying to save everything,but I tried to leave as much of the old girl as best I could do with my talents and funds,I lived on ebay,craigslist looking for architectural salvage,driving all over the tri state area,every thing I did I tried to keep the house lookig historic correct,anyway here are a few pictures before and after,hope you like her,can post more if you wish ,thanks Gene

Last edited by gluby174 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morningstarlet

Re: Well we finally moved in

Post by Morningstarlet »

That looks fantastic1 Love the color. Good job! :D

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

Oh my goodness that is an amazing home! I love it.

jwesevich

Post by jwesevich »

Wow! Incredible work... Is the orange a historical color? (I asked because I have orange front and rear doors)

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"

gluby174

Post by gluby174 »

We used Sherwin-Williams color chart from the 1700/1800's throughout the house,buy the way there were not many choices back then,we tweeked there yellow and adjusted to a Maratha Stewart color called '' Yam''.We wanted something a bit different. I hope this summer to build wood shutters for the house,I plan to paint them a very dark green ,allmost black,I think it will add to the front of of the house,Gene

jwesevich

Post by jwesevich »

Dark green sounds perfect!
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

Doesn't even look like the same house!! (well, yes it does, just 1000% better)

Beautiful job!!

You should show all the doubting friends and family the 'before' pics EVERY TIME they come over :lol:

I bet the realtor who thought you were crazy would love to get the listing if you ever decide to sell :mrgreen:

Thanks for the update and don't hesitate to post more pictures.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

Civil War Seamstress

Post by Civil War Seamstress »

That brought a lump to my throat!!! Wonderful! Masterful!!! and just downright AWESOME!!

Thank for sharing that.... now my bathroom project seems like piece of cake.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/

gluby174

Post by gluby174 »

Thanks for all the replys,funny when we decided to buy the house,we used a good friend who was a realtor ,our sons both played baseball together for years,she was really creaped out because of the condition of the house and all the dead mice we found .She showed up last year Christmas time with cookies,could not believe it was the same house.a couple of other inside shots,Gene

This is a before shot,front room,right side , so I was told originally the office of the justice of the peace,when we bought ,it was the kitchen,now it it is our dinning room

The hutch was built from recycled fir from a house being torn down in Medford NJ

There has been some talk here about exposed ceilings,when we had to take down the 3 layers of ceilings we found everything to be in great condition ,so we left them ,beams were painted,and the pine floor boards polyed clear

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Well done, very well done. Probably the nicest house not he block.