Before and After, Thus Far! (Pictures)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

SouthernLady

Before and After, Thus Far! (Pictures)

Post by SouthernLady »

About a month into the re-do, so here's some updates:

ImageImageImage
Up the stairs. Originally, we planned to strip all the woodwork--molding, every bit of it--but it was going to be a bit more than we all have time for right now. After viewing a nearby house that is completely historically accurate to the period (also featuring woodwork created by the same man, I believe), we decided to keep the woodwork white, which also matches the other historic homes in the community. It's growing on me, I must admit

Stairway almost completed! We chose a historic color from Valspar from the 1910 era and stripped down the woodwork. I don't have a good picture yet of the parlor but should have one the end of this week.

Outside of the 1890-1900 John James McCuison house (Yes, I found the name of the man who built/lived there) with shutters removed, preparing for a new roof (the old roof was perfectly fine but the bank who had it in foreclosure decided to nail the tarp all over the roof... :roll: )

Roofing time! Tin was the original choice, but two different companies refused to do it, stating the roof had "too many valleys" which would require too many cuts in the tin, thus "rusting faster, in 10 years". :cry: So, the next option was slate. Too expensive. We settled for a hunter green shingle that is cut to resemble slate/shaker roofing.

The six columns had to go... termites had already moved out, and rot had set in. Really, it's a miracle the porch didn't go during our last good snow! After viewing other houses in the area, as well as other historic homes, the decision was made to go to four columns instead of six, thus opening the porch up a bit more (and saving some money to go on other projects)

As she was this afternoon--four fluted columns, roofing done, porch rock mended, ready for a good pressure wash and touch-up paint

Different angle (overlook the porch items...)

Back porch before

Currently in progress
Last edited by SouthernLady on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

James

Re: Before and After, Thus Far!

Post by James »

You had some lazy ass roofers who did not want to do tin. Tin would have outlasted any shingles, provided you kept it painted.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.

wletson

Post by wletson »

You're doing a great job in a short period of time. I have to ensure my wife doesn't come onto this site! :D
You're right, the choice of 4 pillars opens up the front of the house
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

James, that's what I thought. My grandfather had tin on his horsebarn old as dirt, painted it every few years, and it was always fine. Only thing I have to say is as soon as this roof is worn out, tin will be going up (if I'm not worn out first! :wink: )

Thanks, wletson. I hate to say this, but I haven't had a chance to do much more than help do a bit of the yard work and some interior cleaning! All of it is being done by good friends. A friend of mine actually owns the house (it was a foreclosure, and the bank wouldn't give a loan to anyone to purchase it, so he bought it himself in order to fix it up and resell it to me) and we are giving joint input on it since God willing I will officially be the owner as soon as it's good enough where the bank will mortgage the thing. It's just been one awesome project. Several of my girlfriends and my mom cleaned the inside while the rest of us had to work our "real" jobs, and our guy buddies happen to be professional carpenters and painters, so they're attacking the rest at cost and barely anything extra. It's really been a fairytale at how everything's come together. As soon as the bank thing is finalized on my end, I've literally got 20 people waiting with bated breath to help with the landscaping, interior details, etc. The family that's done the interior painting is getting ready to move to the other side of the country tomorrow, and this was sort of a "farewell" project of theirs. We're all going to say goodbye at the house tomorrow, which is going to make that place even more sentimental.

I'm just excited to see the old girl getting fixed up!

SouthernLady

More pictures

Post by SouthernLady »

Having to tear out the old wall in the downstairs bedroom. Some of the original wallpaper was discovered over the door

More wallpaper fragments

Drew1910

Post by Drew1910 »

Some great progress going on!
1910 Four Square viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30888

Don M

Post by Don M »

I'm very impressed with the rapid progress on your house---excellent work. Our standing seam roofs on the house, barn & other out buildings are at least 120 years old & still in excellent shape!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

As of yesterday, here's the progress on my big baby:

Before--the first time the family came to see it before the purchase

As of yesterday. The original woodwork was stripped and refinished, and a historic color from the period was selected from Valspar. Had a guy come by today to give an estimate on refinishing the original floors and found out they are not heart pine, but old oak.

Woo!! Remember the lovely wallpaper in the dining area/kitchen?

You can take off the sunglasses now

Other side of the kitchen. Originally I planned on taking the whole white mess out and sticking in a wall for a more "traditional" dining area, but friends and family have talked me into waiting for now... I think it looks too NEW for an 1890s farmhouse. Any suggestions?

Parlor before...

As of yesterday

Don M

Re: Before and After, Thus Far! (Pictures)

Post by Don M »

Very nice; lookin good!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

Drew1910

Re: Before and After, Thus Far! (Pictures)

Post by Drew1910 »

Great progress! I really like the color choices :D
1910 Four Square viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30888