JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Texas_Ranger

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Given how expensive chemical strippers are I'd continue working with the heat gun and give the final result another pass with chemical stripper if you want to get back to exposed wood. If not just heatgun, sand and paint.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com

sooth

Post by sooth »

Texas, he's not painting. All the wood trim in the house is beautiful shellacked oak, and this is one of the only rooms with painted trim, so it's all getting stripped (and I'm so happy about this!)

I think the heat gun job so far looks like it's working great. But I don't have any idea of how much time that section took to do, so...?
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

shizzy

Post by shizzy »

the citru strip is NOT one of the wicked chemical/fume types and I did find it to be quite forgiving. Not sure about 48 hours though.

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

I've been able to leave SmartStrip with plastic wrap on it for over 48 hours. I think it very much depends on things like weather, temperature, type of paint being stripped, how much you glop on in the first place, etc. So, I don't want to assure you that this will work in your case!

I've also found that if my SmartStrip-ed paint does dry out, I can slap just a little more on and wait maybe an hour. Then all of it turns back into goop that I can scrape off.

But the thing I really really like about SmartStrip is that, unlike Citrustrip, I can get this stuff on my skin and not have to worry about it.

Peel Away's gotta start giving me a kick back or something. Cause I won't shut up about SmartStrip these days!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks for the additional tips on strippers. I may need them for the more detailed work, like on the doors. For the rest, I was hoping that going back with denatured alcohol and steel wool would take care of the remaining paint residue. (I might have to cheat, and cover up any paint left deep in the grooves)

As for speed, I was able to do 3-4 verticals an hour. I joked with my friends that this job will take the rest of the winter. But, I'm not so sure I'm kidding anymore. :)

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

I found that the tight places that the heat gun couldn't get off, came off easily when I washed everything down with denatured alcohol. I used a wooden toothpick to chip off dried paint too.

I love that bathroom closet/cabinet!!! I wish I had room in our old bath for one like it. You are doing such a great job and it is fun to see how it is going.
Diane

JRC

Post by JRC »

PowerMuffin wrote:I found that the tight places that the heat gun couldn't get off, came off easily when I washed everything down with denatured alcohol. I used a wooden toothpick to chip off dried paint too.

I love that bathroom closet/cabinet!!! I wish I had room in our old bath for one like it. You are doing such a great job and it is fun to see how it is going.
Diane
Thanks for the tip and kind words! Unfortunately, I'm feeling under the weather, and may have to skip working on the place this weekend. :x

JRC

Post by JRC »

I recently joined the smartphone world. So, I may have more pictures to share. (I will try to weed out the boring ones :mrgreen: )

I made a little more progress on the bathroom today. I can see the outline of the original wall-mounted sink. And, there seems to be a rectangle around that outline, that I don't know what it would have been.

Unfortunately, because of the big slots cut into the wood for the plumbing, I will probably go with a vanity style sink, to cover them up.

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

I'm on the nook so forgive me if I type wrong. Is that a little heater?

JRC

Post by JRC »

KathyJB wrote:I'm on the nook so forgive me if I type wrong. Is that a little heater?
To the far right? No, that's just a register.