JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

JRC

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street (lots of pictures)

Post by JRC »

I've been doing more painting over the last few weekends!

^I still have to paint the ceiling in here.

Yesterday, I got done with the painting a little early, but not early enough to take on the next painting project, before I had to leave. So, I worked on cleaning the kitchen floor. It still doesn't look that great, so I'm hoping there is a better way to clean it. (I've just been using Mr.Clean)

sooth

Post by sooth »

Wow, the paint colours look great, and they really highlight the beautiful woodwork.

Tip: *IF* you're really picky like me, you can use stain on those white phone jacks on the woodwork of the staircase. The stain tends to "bite" into the plastic, so you have to use quick, light strokes.

I'm wondering if you can use Comet on the floor. It looks like standard linoleum tiles. I'm not too familiar with the care and maintenance on these, but you can probably look-up linoleum cleaning tips.

In reply to the kitchen wainscot, it may be glued, but it may also just be nailed with very small nails. You would have to try removing just one panel to see what's behind it, and what condition it's in.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

JRC

Post by JRC »

Glad you like the paint. These are left-overs from my current house. It's funny though. I like them better in the project house! :lol:

I really hope you're right about the paneling being nailed.

Thanks for the tip about the stain on the phone jacks.

Kind of off subject, but one neat thing about my current house, that is actually more "vintage" than the project house, is that it still has round phone jacks with holes for the 4 pins.

I might try comet on the floor. But, I don't think it's linoleum. I'm pretty sure it's a vinyl tile, probably asbestos containing.

LTParis

Post by LTParis »

JRC wrote:I started cleaning the kitchen last weekend. But that job quickly evolved into stripping the layers of contact paper off of the original counter tops. (I think it's linoleum)

Just getting started:

All of the contact paper is gone:
JRC wrote:Image
Interesting, my countertops have that similar look. No contact paper when we bough it, but this really damaged or missing linoleum below.

Very familiar trim too

Circa 1930's Colonial Revival - Kingston NY

JRC

Post by JRC »

More painting: (although, my camera didn't seem to capture the colors too well. :| )

Front parlor:
(what can be seen of the color is fairly accurate in this shot)

NW bedroom/future office:

SE bedroom, which will be my bedroom, in progress: (hope the color doesn't keep me awake! :) )

JRC

Post by JRC »

This weekend, I painted the kitchen cabinets:

I also painted the downstairs bathroom:
Because, I like to paint the ceilings white first, I bought a quart of kitchen/bath paint that, without tint, I assumed was white. Instead if was like painting with milk, so I mixed it with some old, leftover kitchen/bath paint I had from the current house, and painted the walls first.

I'm also continuing to add some homey touches, like curtains. :)
Sorry for the blur, but this most accurately captured the colors.

And finally, the city is becoming very impatient for exterior improvements. So, even though I can't really afford it, I have a verbal agreement with a neighbor to do a quick paint job on the house. I also ordered the new porch columns:

One of the bases hiding behind the columns:

sooth

Post by sooth »

"I bought a quart of kitchen/bath paint that, without tint, I assumed was white."

This sounds like you might have made the costly mistake that I made once: I accidentally bought "Accent Base" white paint, instead of "Brilliant White". There is usually 3 types of base: "Accent Base", "Medium Base", and "White". When you buy a coloured paint, they sometimes need ones with less white (depending on the colour), and the "Accent Base" is nearly transparent with just a tiny bit of white. The Medium is transparent milky white, and white is the standard. It's often very difficult to tell the difference on the cans, since they will look identical except for one spot that will say which of the 3 types it is.

I had accidentally bought 2 cans of semi-gloss accent base that I literally can't use for anything. I might be able to get them tinted, but as-is, they're basically useless.

Side note: I'm wondering if you've restarted your thread on "Wavy Glass"? Most of the members of OHW have abandoned the site due to several issues/spamming, and poor maintenance.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

JRC

Post by JRC »

sooth wrote:"I bought a quart of kitchen/bath paint that, without tint, I assumed was white."

This sounds like you might have made the costly mistake that I made once: I accidentally bought "Accent Base" white paint, instead of "Brilliant White". There is usually 3 types of base: "Accent Base", "Medium Base", and "White". When you buy a coloured paint, they sometimes need ones with less white (depending on the colour), and the "Accent Base" is nearly transparent with just a tiny bit of white. The Medium is transparent milky white, and white is the standard. It's often very difficult to tell the difference on the cans, since they will look identical except for one spot that will say which of the 3 types it is.

I had accidentally bought 2 cans of semi-gloss accent base that I literally can't use for anything. I might be able to get them tinted, but as-is, they're basically useless.

Side note: I'm wondering if you've restarted your thread on "Wavy Glass"? Most of the members of OHW have abandoned the site due to several issues/spamming, and poor maintenance.
Yes, I have a thread there, too. My latest post there was a direct copy. I keep this one active, because it's the complete story.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Since my last update, I waxed the kitchen floor, and it looks a lot better. I think it could be even better yet, but I'll have to get some actual wax stripper, and floor polish. This time, I just used Mr. Clean all-purpose cleaner and Johnson's paste wax.

All other work that was actually done by me isn't really photo-worthy, yet.

But, big things have been happening at the house.

The porch floor has been put down.

And, the house has been painted. (just a warning, this is just a cheap paint job to appease the city, until I can afford a real paint job)

JRC

Post by JRC »

Last weekend, I finally managed to install the matching storm window on the front door.
I foolishly thought that the two openings were the same size. The window on the left fit right out of the box. But the window on the right didn't quite fit. So, I shaved a bit (<1/8") off of the frame.

Yesterday, I completed demolition in the upstairs bathroom, and began electrical rough-in.
I was going to try to patch what was left of the existing plaster. (the plumbers cut a nice, big, L-shaped hole in the wall to remove the old galvanized vent line from the sink. :x :roll: ) But I decided to take it all down, because there would be so little left, after making the additional holes for the electrical boxes.