We found the missing door! (Facade progress)

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

PowerMuffin

Re: We found the missing door! (Facade progress)

Post by PowerMuffin »

Geez, that looks so much better and what fun to find the door there. I am hoping for more pictures as you continue.
Diane

melissakd

Post by melissakd »

KirstenN wrote: MelissaKD, we call it an "Ontario Cottage", but I really don't know if that's correct! There are tons of houses of that general shape on the island.

Lynners, yes, lots of these doors too! My dad calls them "in-law doors", but another book I'm reading calls them "suicide doors".
Ontario Cottage, that's it! I remember we've had discussions of them before. Kind of a variation on I-house and Gothic Revival. As far as I'm concerned, we on the OHW constitute an authority on most old-house subjects, if no other has stepped forward yet.

I like "in-law doors" :)

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt

Bklynoise

Post by Bklynoise »

That looks great.

Has me wondering a bit about the function of a gable door inside a farmhouse.

Could it have been in part for sweeping out the upstairs? Loading large things in and out of the house? purely decorative? former second entrance?

I'm coming up empty, any idea?
circa 1910 sidehall bungalow

Lynners

Post by Lynners »

I think KristenN mentioned this awhile back...or it may have been someone else, I don't remember!

When the houses were built, they included the gable door, with the intention that when the farm became more profitable, they would add a second story porch/balcony. No idea if that's true! Especially since you actually don't see too many with a porch/balcony.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

sooth

Post by sooth »

I wouldn't be surprised if it originally had a small porch with a railing on top, and gingerbread trim along the roof line. It will be an amazingly nice house with minimal work. If you're especially lazy you can use latex silicone to patch the holes which would go really quickly. I'm not sure what the preferred method is, though.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

sooth

Post by sooth »

It reminds me a lot of this house:

JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

Lynners

Post by Lynners »

There's another example near my place that I'll try and sneak a picture of.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Many barns had upstairs doors here that were used for hauling up bales of hay and lord knows what else... this attic might have been used for storage too. On the other hand, I don't see any traces of an arm and winch above that door, which would have been required for that purpose.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com

catya

Post by catya »

Just love love love that style - simple, elegant.

What about snow. Lots and lots of lake effect snow perhaps? Have heard of places where they would put in an upstairs winter door but cant remember where that was specifically....

Does the door face the water or a nice view? I imagine on a beautiful summer day it would be nice to open those doors and just look out from that porch...

KirstenN

Post by KirstenN »

So many great comments to respond to!

Warren - yes, the ferry was ruling our life for a while there. :-) It stopped running on Sunday, though, for the winter. Now we have to drive up to the swing bridge that connects the north-east corner of the island to the closest mainland. It means a 575km drive instead of a 425km drive, so I might start going every third week rather than every second week.

triguy - interesting thought about shutters - I want to visit the museum and look at old photos to see what houses might have had "back in the day". I have to admit that the south side of the house has not one single window! Not a great situation for solar gain, but they just fronted the houses on the main road without regard for the sun. I also wondered if the siding was covering damage, but so far no sign of any on the front or back.

Sooth, I would love to find evidence of gingerbread! I *think* we have the original soffit and fascia (they're certainly not covered with vinyl or aluminum), so when I'm up there in the spring caulking and painting it I'll be checking. They might have taken it down when they put on the eavestroughs. I love that picture you posted, too!

Texas_Ranger, just a minor correction, the door doesn't go into the attic, but into the second floor. There are two bedrooms on one side of the upstairs, and the door opens onto the upstairs hall, which is really a pretty big room. It's definitely how we're going to get a queen-size mattress into our bedroom, since it's not going to make it up the interior staircase.

Catya, no view, I'm afraid, except contented cows! We Canadians certainly love to brag about our snow, so maybe that's it.

MelissaKD - it's a good point you make about respect. I'm certainly not going to become an advocate for saving every poured-concrete fake-brick house that exists, but I'm kind of thinking of a "keep-one-of-everything" mindset here. If no-one loves them, I will, and I'll prove that they can be cute and livable! Plus, it has its original windows! :P
Image Image Image
Our 1914 brick Toronto house; Our 1913 concrete island house; and the house I dream of owning, my husband's family's 1880-ish Toronto foursquare.