Bedroom light fixture with switch

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

daver1100

Bedroom light fixture with switch

Post by daver1100 »

1930 Sears house, I'd like to install a ceiling light fixture to one of the bedrooms. On the wall is a switch (that controls a wall outlet) and in the ceiling there is a round box. The ceiling box has 2 wire bundles, each bundle has 3 wires.

The lines in the ceiling are hot but not switched. I'd like the wall outlet to be hot all the time and the ceiling box to be switched. You know what I mean? Seems to me that the wall switch and the ceiling box would be connected. Any ideas on how to figure this little puzzle out?

Thanks! Dave

SkipW

Re: Bedroom light fixture with switch

Post by SkipW »

Do you have access above the room? If so you can feed a load wire down the wall to the switch that connects to the ceiling box. In my 1907 house (don't know when it got electricity) I had several rooms with hot leads to the ceiling as I imagine there were not switched ceiling lights but those with pull chains or similar. In those I either interrupted the lead to drop down to a switch which I installed or ran new feeds to the switches and load wires to the ceiling.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

daver1100

Post by daver1100 »

Skip- There is a finished bedroom above, but there is also attic space past the knee walls. Maybe I'll go in there with a flashlight, just to see.

In my mind, since there is a wall switch, there has to be a connection to the ceiling box. But maybe not... D

Nancy W

Post by Nancy W »

I know of several houses where the ceiling light is not on a wall switch, so it can't be too uncommon. Certainly is inconvenient.
Nancy
Lower Brambly circa 1895
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

alfort

Post by alfort »

Not having wall switches for ceiling lights is not unusual at all. I've been in many houses that don't have wall switches. In my house, of 10 ceiling lights, only two have wall switches. The bathroom and stairway (3-way).