dcsimg

Have you removed aluminum siding? I HAVE! New Pics!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Have you removed aluminum siding? I HAVE! New Pics!

Postby CartierBear on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:29 pm

I guess im kinda lucky i know whats under my siding or type of wood at least. apparently the aluminum came after the utility room was added on so the outside is alluminum and the laundry room walls are the original back of the house
Last edited by CartierBear on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Tulsa, OK
1922 Bungalow
CartierBear

Re: Have you removed aluminum siding?

Postby BobG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:36 pm

notpetergriffin wrote:An almost after pic:

WOW!!! That is really looking good. Now I'm REALLY jealous. How close to budget did it come in? and how long did the total project take? Keep posting "after " pics. I swear, I'll have some soon.
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Re: Have you removed aluminum siding?

Postby notpetergriffin on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:49 pm

BobG wrote:
notpetergriffin wrote:WOW!!! That is really looking good. Now I'm REALLY jealous. How close to budget did it come in? and how long did the total project take? Keep posting "after " pics. I swear, I'll have some soon.

Bob, I am seriously so thrilled. With weather it took 21 days total for the roof and the siding +$400 for the repairs needed to the gables, windows, and the siding. the column base has not been repaired yet as I ordered the wrong size...but that was included in the original quote. The foundation is not done, it was not included in the quote as it needs repairs and I really really really want to do a faux sandstone finish.
notpetergriffin

Postby notpetergriffin on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:51 pm

IntrepidCUB wrote:I guess im kinda lucky i know whats under my siding or type of wood at least. apparently the aluminum came after the utility room was added on so the outside is alluminum and the laundry room walls are the original back of the house

Are you planning on removing the aluminum siding? That wood siding is beautiful. Are the boards rounded off?
notpetergriffin

Postby CartierBear on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:00 pm

Nah not removing not that ambitious LOL yeah they are rounded planks i guess. If i could i would love to take the siding off the gable on the front and cover it with sedar shingles. then insulate and paint the house a olive green with light trim.
Jeff
Tulsa, OK
1922 Bungalow
CartierBear

Postby fode140 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:21 am

I am so jealous of all of you that are extracating the aluminum or vinyl monster out of your house! We have not quite put aside the funds or the time yet to do this, I've been doing investigation work to shoot for next spring. Ours has about 20 year old faded dark blue aluminum and the garage? Well, that's got aluminum on the face, and T-111 vertical plywood siding on the sides and back painted to match. It's umm, . . .pretty custom! We did kind of luck out though, I guess, the sills are still there, they just faced those in aluminum as well. I'm pretty afraid of what I'll find underneath though. Excellent jobs, they all look great, it's such an amazing transformation to remove that junk and go back to the way the house was intended to look, it seems the house just looks right again. Makes you think what the people were thinking that put up the aluminum!
fode140

Postby 1907~ILFarmhouse on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 am

WOW! That is absolutely beautiful!!! THANKYOU for the pics and the inspiration that it does get better after stripping off the old aluminum!!!! We uncovered a few spots this year for our window paint scraping and you have restored my faith in the wood siding!!!!! THANKYOU!!

Also, those details are amazing on your house! Isn't crazy that someone would cover up and hide such beautiful accents. I am constantly amazed at all the details the plain looking vinyl /aluminum houses have that are hiding! Ours is mostly hidden by the all white color scheme and hideous front porch roof extension. :( My warm cozy hat is off you to and your contractor(s) you have a beautiful house!!!!!! ENJOY!~

OH, almost forgot...TO ALL the other siding removing old house web'rs...GREAT JOB!!! THEY ALL LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!

Heather
~Home Sweet Home~
1907~ILFarmhouse

Postby CartierBear on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:03 pm

MORE PICS ....MORE PICS....MORE PICS.....
Jeff
Tulsa, OK
1922 Bungalow
CartierBear

Postby raymanretro on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:02 pm

I just wanted to say how much I admire each of you for the courage it takes to do this. I know first hand that Its a very hard and time consuming labor of love, but also a very gratifying one.
IM004972 (Small).JPG
IM004972 (Small).JPG (59.07 KiB) Viewed 12974 times
raymanretro

Postby BobG on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Ray, do you have a "full on" shot of that stained glass window? We're looking for design ideas for our sidelights and front door window, and, considering the styling that we've uncovered by removing our siding, were considering something more stick-style / eastlake like your windows ... remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :D
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum