dcsimg

Repair old fiber board garage door

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Repair old fiber board garage door

Postby American Four Square Mary » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:44 pm

Can anyone advise me who could repair the bottom panel on a "roll up" wood garage door? The fiber board (whatever it is) is actually peeling away; so paint isn't going to fix it. It is just happening on the bottom panel. It's not a particularly pretty door, but this panel is making it look terrible.

I cannot afford a custom-made wood door; though I would love a wood door with lights. And I don't want to get one of those ho-hum steel doors.

If I got someone who could cover it with metal, and then paint it the same color, would that work?

My house is (as you may have guessed) an American Four Square, circa 1912; and the garage is probably original; but I am pretty sure the door is not. I am on a corner lot, and the garage is in back on the side street.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mary
American Four Square Mary

Postby kec01 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:19 pm

We had a door that had the problem you describe with yours. Here's our solution (and it was a solution that worked in Minnesota winters). Cut out the rotted parts. Position a piece of scrap plywood or some other wood that's thinner than the door in the cutout area, leaving some area on both sides of the panel for the next step. Mix up and apply some Bondo (purchased at auto parts store). Smooth out as best as possible with a putty knife. When dry, and it dries quickly, sand off any excess. Paint and you are ready to go. Total time - few hrs. Total cost - next to nothing.
kec01

Repair Old Fiber Board Garage Door

Postby American Four Square Mary » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:26 am

kec01, thanks for your quick reply. I'll try it. On second thought, I'll have my handyman, Bill, try it!

mary

Postby Tony Gagliardi » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:20 pm

If you contact a door company they might be able to just replace the one section.
1915 Bungalow
Tony Gagliardi

Fiberboard Garage Door

Postby American Four Square Mary » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:54 pm

I am finally getting to my garage door, and wanted to thank you again for the suggestion of using Bondo auto body filler on the door!

I contacted the Bondo company (via internet), and their technician advised using the Bondo Auto Body Filler (not their product for rotten wood). So I purchased a large can from AutoZone.

I started scraping off the paint/rotted board over the weekend (bottom panel only), and Monday night my neighbor came over and I told him "my plan". Luckily, he is a generous young man, who 12 years ago, used Bondo on a vehicle. He had never heard of using it on rotting wood.

Last night he came over and we started applying the Bondo mixture. It seems to be working wonderfully. We have applied 2 thin coats, and, hopefully, will apply 2 more tonight (weather permitting). Then we will sand, and I'll prime. I am thinking of faux painting the entire door (something I got off the internet).

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Amer. 4L7 Mary :)

Postby Don M » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:05 pm

My in-law's garage door did the same. The fiber board got wet from the splash-back from every rain storm, warped, and buckled. We routed out the inside of the wood frame & removed the warped panels; replaced them with plywood cut to fit & nailed them back in using half round molding to hold them in place. Once primed & painted, you couldn't tell they had ever been replaced! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby kec01 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Mary, Glad that worked out. At our previous house, we used Bondo on the bottom of our garage door and we used a combination of what Don described and Bondo to close the cat-flap cutout that a PO had cut rhough our back door. That house was in MN and a hole in the door was not too cool.....well, yes, it was quite cool in the winter!

We always love the cheap and easy fixes...so we can save our funds for the big bucks ones that are guaranteed to be around the corner!!!

Let us know if you do the faux painting - is your garage door painted now? We have garage work ahead of us this summer and fall and the faux painting idea is a great one
kec01

Postby American Four Square Mary » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:00 pm

Yes, last night my neighbor (God bless him!), Bob, did 99% of the sanding. I had to take over and at least try! :lol: And I got 1 coat of primer on (before our rain this morning!). It looks pretty good!

I will let you know about the faux painting; but I have to take a break this weekend, as I have Saturday and Sunday commitments (darn it).

How are things in Oak Park?

Mary

Re: Repair old fiber board garage door

Postby Hiseens64 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:11 am

I was looking for answers for this same question. My garage was never good maintained it looks like rough use ,its panels are still in tact. At Friday evening i did its sanding next morning primer coat and done with all painting but the door was very noisy and stuck at a point so i checked online its DIY then i found this amazing link http://www.firstcoastgaragedoor.com/contact-us/
Hiseens64

Return to General Discussions Forum